how to make cookie dough overnight oats?
To make cookie dough overnight oats, you will need rolled oats, chia seeds, Greek yogurt, chocolate chips, almond butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, optional toppings, a large bowl, whisk, and optional mason jars.
Combine 1.5 cups of rolled oats, 3 tablespoons of chia seeds, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon in the bowl.
Add 2 tablespoons of almond butter, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 2 cups of milk, 2 tablespoons of mini chocolate chips, and a pinch of salt.
Mix everything together until well combined.
Cover the bowl or transfer the mixture into mason jars and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Once ready to eat, add optional toppings such as crunchy granola bits, nut butter, or sliced almonds.
Enjoy your cookie dough overnight oats, which can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
Quick Tips and Facts:
1. Did you know that oats are naturally gluten-free, making them the perfect base for gluten-sensitive individuals to enjoy cookie dough overnight oats?
2. In traditional cookie dough recipes, eggs are used as a binding agent. However, in cookie dough overnight oats, there is no need for eggs, making it a convenient option for vegans or those who prefer egg-free recipes.
3. While most cookie dough contains raw flour, overnight oats are made with cooked oats, which eliminates the risk of bacterial contamination from uncooked flour, making them a safer alternative for consumption.
4. Want to add a protein boost to your cookie dough overnight oats? Try incorporating a spoonful of nut butter, like almond or peanut butter, for an extra protein kick.
5. If you’re a fan of chocolate chip cookie dough, consider adding some cocoa powder to your overnight oats mixture for a rich and indulgent chocolate flavor without the guilt. Enjoy the taste of cookie dough while staying on track with your healthy eating goals!
Ingredients For Cookie Dough Overnight Oats
To make delicious and healthy cookie dough overnight oats, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1.5 cups of rolled oats: These will provide a hearty and filling base for your oats.
- 3 tablespoons of chia seeds: Adding these will give your breakfast a boost of fiber and omega-3 fatty acids.
To infuse the oats with a delectable cookie dough flavor, you will need:
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar: This will add a touch of sweetness.
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon: This will give the oats a warm and cozy taste, reminiscent of freshly baked cookies.
For the desired cookie dough texture, you will need:
- 2 tablespoons of almond butter: This will give the oats a creamy and indulgent texture. If you prefer or have nut allergies, you can substitute almond butter with peanut butter or sun butter.
To add a delightful burst of chocolate in every bite, you will need:
- 2 tablespoons of mini chocolate chips: These will melt slightly in the oats, creating a gooey chocolate experience.
Lastly, don’t forget to add a pinch of salt to balance out the sweetness and harmonize the flavors. Enjoy your delicious and healthy cookie dough overnight oats!
Substitutions And Optional Ingredients
While the recipe calls for specific ingredients, there are several substitutions and optional additions you can consider based on your preferences or dietary restrictions. For instance, if you are unable to consume almond butter, you can easily replace it with an equivalent amount of peanut butter or sun butter. This substitution will still maintain the creaminess and nutty essence of the cookie dough overnight oats.
Moreover, if you prefer a different flavor profile, you can experiment with different types of non-dairy milk. Almond milk is a popular choice, but you can also use oat milk, soy milk, or coconut milk. These options will infuse the oats with their unique characteristics and enhance the overall taste.
In terms of optional ingredients, the possibilities are limitless. You can consider adding shredded coconut to impart a tropical twist or dried fruit such as raisins or cranberries to provide bursts of sweetness. Additionally, you can incorporate a crunchy element by sprinkling chopped nuts or granola bits as a topping.
- Substitute almond butter: peanut butter or sun butter
- Experiment with non-dairy milk: almond milk, oat milk, soy milk, or coconut milk
- Optional ingredients: shredded coconut, dried fruit (raisins, cranberries), chopped nuts, granola bits
“While the recipe calls for specific ingredients, there are several substitutions and optional additions you can consider based on your preferences or dietary restrictions.”
Preparation And Refrigeration Time
The preparation of cookie dough overnight oats is straightforward and requires minimal effort. Begin by combining the rolled oats, chia seeds, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Mix these dry ingredients together until well combined. Next, add the almond butter, vanilla extract, mini chocolate chips, and a pinch of salt to the bowl. Stir the mixture until the almond butter is evenly distributed throughout.
After preparing the initial mixture, gradually add 2 cups of milk, such as almond milk, to the oats. Continue stirring until all the ingredients are fully incorporated. At this point, you can taste-test the mixture and adjust the sweetness or texture according to your preference. If desired, you can add a drizzle of maple syrup or an extra tablespoon of brown sugar.
Once the mixture is well combined, cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight. This refrigeration period is crucial as it allows the oats to soak up the liquid and softens them, creating a creamy and indulgent texture. The longer the oats are refrigerated, the more they will thicken and develop their flavors.
- Combine rolled oats, chia seeds, brown sugar, and cinnamon
- Add almond butter, vanilla extract, mini chocolate chips, and a pinch of salt
- Gradually add 2 cups of milk, stirring until fully incorporated
- Adjust sweetness or texture if desired
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight to allow oats to soften and develop flavors.
Recommended Kitchen Tools
To prepare the cookie dough overnight oats, you will need a few essential kitchen tools. Firstly, a large bowl will be used to mix all the ingredients together and ensure they are evenly distributed. A whisk can also be handy to help combine the ingredients smoothly, especially when adding the almond butter and milk.
While not necessary, mason jars can be used to store the overnight oats, especially if you prefer individual portions or an aesthetically pleasing presentation. Mason jars are convenient for on-the-go breakfasts, allowing you to enjoy your cookie dough overnight oats wherever you please.
- Use a large bowl for mixing the ingredients.
- Consider using a whisk to combine the ingredients smoothly.
- Mason jars can be used for storing the overnight oats.
- Mason jars are convenient for on-the-go breakfasts.
“Mason jars are convenient for on-the-go breakfasts, allowing you to enjoy your cookie dough overnight oats wherever you please.”
Storage And Serving Suggestions
Once the cookie dough overnight oats are fully refrigerated and have reached your desired consistency, they are ready to be served.
- Portion the oats into bowls or mason jars.
- Garnish with optional toppings such as crunchy granola bits, a dollop of nut butter, or a sprinkle of sliced almonds.
Remember to store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The oats will remain fresh and delicious for up to 4-5 days, making them a perfect option for busy mornings or meal prepping.
“The cookie dough overnight oats are a delightful and nutritious breakfast option. With the right toppings, they can be a treat for the taste buds. Don’t forget to try different variations to suit your preferences.”
When ready to enjoy, you can eat the oats straight from the container or heat them in the microwave for a warm and comforting breakfast.
Variations And Additional Tips
To further personalize your cookie dough overnight oats, there are a variety of variations and additional tips to consider. If you follow a vegan lifestyle, you can easily adapt this recipe by using vegan chocolate chips, peanut or almond butter, maple syrup instead of brown sugar, and a dairy-free milk option. These substitutions will ensure the recipe aligns with your dietary needs while still delivering a delicious and satisfying breakfast.
For a more filling breakfast, consider adding a scoop of protein powder to the mixture. This addition will increase the protein content and keep you energized throughout the day. Additionally, if you prefer a sugar-free or lower-sugar option, you can opt for sugar-free chocolate chips or omit the brown sugar altogether. The oats will still have a delightful cookie dough flavor while being slightly healthier.
If you are looking for a healthier alternative to chocolate chips, cacao nibs can be used as a substitute. These little chocolate gems provide the same rich flavor but are minimally processed and contain more nutrients. They offer a pleasant crunch and intense chocolate taste, enhancing the overall experience of the cookie dough overnight oats.
It is worth noting that while rolled oats are recommended for this recipe, you can use quick oats or steel-cut oats as a substitute. However, keep in mind that the texture and preparation time may vary slightly. Quick oats will absorb the liquid faster, resulting in a softer consistency, while steel-cut oats will require a longer refrigeration time and may maintain a slightly chewy texture.
Lastly, feel free to get creative and experiment with various optional ingredients. Consider adding shredded coconut or your favorite dried fruits to enhance the flavors further. Nuts like almonds or walnuts can provide additional crunch and nutritional value. The possibilities are endless, allowing you to customize your cookie dough overnight oats to your liking.
In conclusion, making cookie dough overnight oats is a simple and enjoyable process that yields a delicious and healthy breakfast option. With a combination of rolled oats, chia seeds, Greek yogurt, chocolate chips, almond butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and optional toppings, you can create a delightful morning treat. Whether you follow the recipe as is or make substitutions and additions to suit your tastes, cookie dough overnight oats are a convenient and satisfying breakfast choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
What not to add in overnight oats?
When preparing overnight oats, it is important to avoid certain mistakes to ensure a delicious and satisfying result. Firstly, it is crucial to add the correct amount of milk to achieve the desired consistency. Secondly, forgetting to add salt can result in bland oats, so it is essential to remember this key ingredient. Additionally, skipping ingredients that provide flavor can lead to a lackluster taste. It is also important to avoid adding excessive sugar or sweet ingredients, as this can make the oats overwhelmingly sweet. Furthermore, not adding toppings at the right time can affect the overall presentation and texture. Lastly, leaving the oats out on the counter for too long can compromise their freshness and quality.
What is the secret to overnight oats?
The secret to achieving delectably creamy overnight oats lies in the addition of chia or flax seeds. These seeds work their magic by thickening the oats and infusing them with a delightful creaminess. If you find yourself lacking these seeds in your pantry, fear not! Simply reduce the amount of liquid in your recipe by approximately 1/4 cup to compensate. It’s worth noting that while the oats will still be tasty, they may not possess the same dreamy creamy texture. Additionally, opting for ground flax meal, rather than whole flaxseeds, is essential to achieve the desired results.
Can you use raw oats for overnight oats?
Absolutely! Using raw oats for overnight oats is a fantastic option. By soaking the oats in milk or water for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight, they become perfectly soft and ready to eat. This method eliminates the need to cook the oats, providing a convenient and nutritious breakfast choice. So go ahead and give it a try, your taste buds will thank you!
Can you make cookie dough the night before?
Yes, you can definitely make cookie dough the night before! It is actually recommended to refrigerate cookie dough for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours before baking. This process allows the flavors to meld together and enhances the texture of the cookies. Just make sure to let the dough warm up to room temperature for about 5 to 10 minutes before shaping and baking to ensure it is pliable enough for easy handling. So go ahead and prepare your cookie dough in advance to save time and enjoy fresh, delicious cookies whenever you desire!